What are the high school graduation requirements?

How do I order a transcript?

How can I research colleges & careers?

Where do I get a work permit?

How is credit awarded?

  • Each semester class is awarded 5 credits, if passed (D or better). Each semester is a final grade. To stay on track to graduate students should be earning 30 credits per semester.

I heard 9th grade classes and grades don't count. Is this true?

  • All classes and grades count in high school. All grades are computed into the cumulative GPA. The 9-12 cumulative GPA is used by many private colleges and universities.

What does UC/CSU approved classes mean?

  • The California Public University system has designated which of our classes they will accept as "subject requirements" for admission. These subject requirements demonstrate that the student is prepared for the rigors of college work at the UC/CSU campuses

What is RBV's CEEB or School Code?

  • 053-668

Where can I get a SAT/ACT Fee Waiver?

  • See Mrs. Williams in the College and Career Center

How should I choose my classes? What classes look better to colleges? When comparing grades for honors, regular and AP classes, which looks better for a student to have: an A in a regular class or a C in a honors/AP/IB class?

  • Students should consult with their parents, teachers and counselors in making course selections and selections of levels of courses. While consistency is important, the types of classes you take and the grades you earn are extremely important. We encourage students to seek out new academic experiences and exposure to new ideas and we have many course selection options. Meeting with a counselor to plan course selections and discuss college options would be beneficial in helping you decide whether or not you want to continue with a particular subject.
  • Generally speaking, colleges would like to see students challenge themselves to as great a degree as possible in high school. Colleges also recognize that students have strengths and weaknesses, and understand that not all students should take 6 honors/AP classes. Your high school program should reflect some attempts at honors/AP work if that interests you and motivates you to success. The selective colleges are interested in your Weighted GPA-the GPA that reflects the honors and advanced level courses you took. An A or B in an honors or advanced level class suitable for the student's abilities is generally viewed more favorably than all A's in less challenging classes. Students consistently making C's in honors/AP classes should review their program with their counselor.

Do I need a Visual/Performing Art to go to college?

  • Requirements for Colleges and Universities vary. To qualify for the UC/CSU visual and performing art subject requirement, you must take two semesters of approved visual and performing arts within the same area. There are other private and out of state schools that may not require an Art or other requirement. It is best to check with the University to determine their minimum requirements

What is a Life Science?

  • Lab Bio Honors
  • Human Anatomy
  • Forensic Bio
  • Tech of Bio
  • AP Bio

What is a Physical Science?

  • Academic Earth
  • Chemistry (including honors and higher levels)
  • Physics (including honors and higher levels)
  • AP Environmental
  • Astronomy
  • Physical Oceanography

What Science do I need for a CSU vs. a UC to meet the minimum requirements?

  • CSU requires Academic Earth for Physical Science and Lab Bio for Life Science or Lab Bio and Chemistry/Physics
  • UC requires Lab Bio and either Chemistry or Physics (sometimes AP Environmental will qualify, see your counselor for specifics)

Does Psychology count as a Science?

  • No, Psychology is a Social Science elective.

What is AVID?

  • Advancement Via Individual Determination is a program for students who want to go to a four-year university but for a variety of reasons, need help. Check with your counselor about the other qualifications. The program consists of study skills, motivational strategies and tutoring.

How can I contact my student's teachers?

  • Most teachers prefer email to communicate with parents. You may obtain teacher email addresses through parent portal or on our website under the Staff Directory heading. Remember, anytime you have a question or concern about your student's grade or any classroom issues, please contact the teacher first. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response.

How can my student sign up for a sport?

  • Students must try out for all RBV team sports. Tryout periods for each sport will depend on the season in which the sport takes place. After tryouts, the coach will give a copy of the team roster to the Counseling Department and Athletic Director and the sport is added to the student's schedule.

What is a transcript?

  • A transcript is the official record of courses taken, grades earned and current GPA. GPA explanations are located in the RBV school profile, available on the counseling website.

Which information do I get from the Counseling Office, which from the Career Center, and which from the Registrar?

There is a great deal of shared information among all the counseling offices. You may get help from any place, but generally:

The Counselors focus on:

  • Personal/social counseling
  • Scheduling of classes
  • Conferences with students, parents, and teachers
  • College advising and counseling
  • Career advising and counseling
  • Night school or summer school information and registration
  • Special counseling referrals
  • Crisis resolution
  • College searches and information
  • Career exploration

The Career Center focuses on:

  • Financial aid and scholarship information
  • College recruiters
  • Testing waivers information (SAT and ACT)
  • Military
  • ACT/SAT Fee Waivers

The Registrar's Office and Secretaries focus on:

  • Transcript requests for colleges, scholarships and jobs
  • Enrollment of students
  • Withdrawals of students
  • Grades and grade changes
  • Records management