Congrats, you survived your first year of high school! Visit the Counseling Website and your class page frequently for updated information!
Sophomores To Do List
- Get to know your counselor. We are here to answer any questions you might have about high school and to help you reach your goals. Stop by to say hello.
- Check the counseling website and your class page periodically.
- Set up a Naviance account and get used to checking it regularly to stay updated on school information and events.
- Stay on top of your homework and see your teachers for extra help. They are happy to schedule time to meet with you.
- Get to know your teachers! They want you to be successful in high school.
- Play a sport, join a club, and do the things you love best! Be an active participant in the Rancho community.
- Take the PSAT in October. It is valuable practice for when you take the PSAT again in 11th grade (when the scores will count for National Merit consideration), as well as for the SAT which you should take by the end of 11th grade
- Take the PLAN; it is valuable practice for the ACT, which you should take by the end of 11th grade.
Naviance is a program that allows students to assess their personality type, explore careers, majors, post-secondary opportunities and scholarships, and apply to colleges effectively. Naviance also allows the counseling office to submit transcripts, secondary school reports, and letters of recommendation directly to colleges electronically. If you are applying to a college, you NEED a Naviance account. Naviance will be regularly updated, and it will include access to your GPA, tests scores, a scholarship database, the counseling bulletin, and the college visit schedule. RBV has customized the pages for students, based on their grade-level, giving them access to age-appropriate resources for course, college, and career planning. Some of the available resources include:
- Researching local scholarship options
- Searching for colleges and viewing multimedia college profiles
- Displaying scattergrams and application statistics from RBV
- Registering for college visits
- Requesting official transcripts
- Requesting letters of recommendation
- Accessing Web links and custom pages from RBV (brag packet, etc.)
- Exploring personality types and career interests
- Researching careers
- Creating a resume