Welcome to high school! We are excited to get to know each of you. Visit the counseling website and your class page frequently for updated information!
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO GPA, CLASS RANK, VALEDICTORIAN SELECTION
Beginning with the Class of 2019, VUSD will recognize the weighted grade point average for courses that are recognized and weighted by the University of California as depicted in the U/C Doorways. Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses will also receive a weighted GPA that will be used when calculating the weighted GPA. Class rank will not be identified or displayed on high school transcripts.
In addition, there will be a new process to determine both Valedictorian and Salutatorian which will include GPA, attendance, and discipline.
Freshman To Do List
- Get to know your counselor. We are here to answer any questions you might have about high school and to help you reach your goals. Stop by to say hello.
- Check the counseling website and your class page periodically.
- Set up a Naviance account and get used to checking it regularly to stay updated on school information and events.
- Time management is crucial in high school. You’ll have more homework and more activities to balance- get organized!
- Stay on top of your homework and see your teachers for extra help. They are happy to schedule time to meet with you.
- Get to know your teachers! They want you to be successful in high school.
- Set short and long term goals. Discuss your goals with your parents and/or your counselor.
- Play a sport, join a club, and do the things you love best! Be an active participant in the Rancho community.
Naviance is a program that allows students to assess their personality type, explore careers, majors, post-secondary opportunities and scholarships, and apply to colleges effectively. Naviance also allows the counseling office to submit transcripts, secondary school reports, and letters of recommendation directly to colleges electronically. If you are applying to a college, you NEED a Naviance account. Naviance will be regularly updated, and it will include access to your GPA, tests scores, a scholarship database, the counseling bulletin, and the college visit schedule. RBV has customized the pages for students, based on their grade-level, giving them access to age-appropriate resources for course, college, and career planning. Some of the available resources include:
Researching local scholarship options
Searching for colleges and viewing multimedia college profiles
Displaying scattergrams and application statistics from RBV
Registering for college visits
Requesting official transcripts
Requesting letters of recommendation
Accessing Web links and custom pages from RBV (brag packet, etc.)
Exploring personality types and career interests
Creating a resume